Thursday, August 6, 2009

Simply Gorgeous!


BLUEBERRY-ORANGE CUSTARD

I don't know why I waited so many years to make custard! Now I can't get enough - and the variations and combinations can be endless.

This one is even good for breakfast. I've only made it with the blueberries, but I'm sure other fruits would be just as good!

~~~~

1 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon orange zest
4 eggs, beaten
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup half & half
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place six 4-ounce ramekins in a 9x13 baking pan. Divide the blueberries and orange zest between them and set aside.

In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, salt, sugar, vanilla, half & half, and milk until well combined. Pour, through a fine meshed sieve (to remove the stringy egg thingy!) evenly amoung the cups.

Carefully pour hottest tap water into the baking pan until it's halfway up the custard cups. Bake for 25-40 minutes, or until just set, but still jiggly in the middle, or a sharp knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool.




3 comments:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous! I used to see panna cotta recipes, and couldn't understand why anyone would bother. Was I wrong! This is a wonderful recipe and a fabulous photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, I posted this on the wrong recipe! ...though this one looks veryvery good too. (insert embarrassed icon here)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous is right - looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete