Thursday, August 6, 2009

My favorite banana cake...sure...I'll share!


MY FAVORITE BANANA CAKE

I've been making this for years...and sometimes use it as my banana 'bread'. It's very moist, and has great banana flavor.

I love to let my bananas get black and throw them in the freezer so I can make this anytime I want.

My family doesn't care for nuts in baked goods that much, but some chopped walnuts or pecans would be wonderful in this.

(A no-sugar-added version is on my blog Eating Well...Living Thin, if you're interested in that.)

~~~~

Vegetable cooking spray
2 teaspoon lemon juice
2/3 cup milk
2 1/3 cups flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup mashed, very ripe bananas
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 8 or 9-inch cake pans with the vegetable cooking spray and set aside.

In a small bowl stir together the lemon juice and milk and let sit for a minute.

In large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat in the shortening, banana, and milk mixture for 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs for another 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 25-35 minutes or until when a toothpick is inserted in the middle, moist crumbs are attached. Allow to cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn out, and cool completely. Frost if desired.



3 comments:

  1. I do the same thing with my black bananas! I love how goopy they get when you thaw them out--they hardly need mashing! I make my banana cake by adding banana to a yellow cake mix (along with other things, including a bit of sour cream). Does that offend your baking sensibilities? :) I hardly make any cakes from scratch (carrot & apple are two of the rare exceptions), but add things to mixes to make them more "home made" tasting. BTW, have you ever put black walnuts in your cake or banana bread? I love that combo! Oh, and I think it's great that you have this blog and also the other low-carb, healthy blog. I too love to bake, it's my passion, though I do try to cook healthy foods to keep us from gaining too much weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! Cake mix does NOT offend my baking sensibilities! It's a marvelous thing. My very favorite cookbooks EVER, are the hometown/community/church/fundraiser ones where everyone shares their best - I mean, really...who's gonna submit a clunker?!
    You'll find a lot of cake mix recipes in there - and they are fab!!

    ReplyDelete